Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Jason Roberts: ‘I believe we can reach children’


Wednesday 30 March
‘I am fortunate enough to be able to play in the Premier League and do a job that I love’, says Jason Roberts, professional footballer of Blackburn Rovers in England. ‘I feel it is my responsibility to share my expertise and knowledge to those less fortunate and to try and create a positive outlook in their lives.’

‘Jason Roberts is always organising something back home for Grenada.’ It was Gordon Taylor himself - honorary president of FIFPro, chief executive of the PFA and OBE - who recently referred to Jason Roberts as being a professional footballer who without a doubt is a role model. Taylor was trying to defend the image of the professional footballers, who unfortunately still have to cope with the image of being rich and ignorant about other people in this world.

That bias does not reflect the character of Jason Roberts. On the contrary.

‘Like a lot of players, I am happy to make myself available to the Community department at the club because I think it’s important, as professional footballers, to give something back to the fans, in addition to playing each week.’

Jason Roberts is a 33-year-old footballer of Blackburn Rovers. The striker has made a name for himself in England by scoring loads of goals for clubs like Bristol Rovers, West Bromwich Albion, Wigan Athletic and Blackburn. Although born in London, he is an international player of Grenada, since his father was born on that island in the Caribbean Sea. His mother is from French Guyana.
Back to Grenada. As Gordon Taylor said, Jason Roberts is always organizing something back home for Grenada. Besides the community work he does as a player of Blackburn Rovers, he has even created his own charity to aid his countrymen (and people in the United Kingdom as well): the Jason Roberts Foundation.

‘I have always been interested in, and inspired by, different community initiatives and how they can change people’s lives. Setting up the Foundation seemed a natural progression.'

'I thought by I could do more, make a greater difference, to the lives of young people in England and Grenada, and it’s something I’m very proud of. And I’m delighted with the progress we have made, both in England and in Grenada.’

‘The goal of the Jason Roberts Foundation is to use football, and sport in general, as a hook to allow us to show kids that they can be valuable and worthy members of society, whilst promoting good health and a positive view on life.’

Jason Roberts started his foundation in the spring of 2007, beginning in the UK in May and in Grenada in June. Key aims are, amongst other things:
·         to provide opportunities for children and young people to participate in sports and cultural activities in the UK and in Grenada; 
·         to encourage young people in the UK and in Grenada to participate in structured sporting activity, which will contribute to improving health and fitness, self esteem, confidence and social inclusion; 
·         to provide opportunities for young people to participate in learning programmes which will enhance educational achievement.

‘Being a professional footballer fortunate enough to be playing at the highest level, I realised a long time ago that our sport, and others, is such a powerful tool and it’s great to see what it means to young people when they attend football camps, they get to meet their idols at various functions. It is quite amazing to witness the impact we can have on kids and I’m grateful for the help I’ve received in establishing the Foundation, both in the UK and in Grenada where the people at St George’s University, and the Government itself, have embraced the concept.’

‘The beauty of it is not just about the kids playing football, having fun and meeting players - it’s about talking to them, on a range of subjects, and listening to the different issues which are important to them and their lives.’
‘The youngsters tend to open up to us, possibly more than people who are close to them, and I enjoy talking to them about a whole range of issues that affect their day-to-day lives. I was brought up in London, so I can relate to a lot of the things they talk to us about.’

‘I was fortunate that football gave me a route out and into a wonderful world; the great life I am lucky to have today. My attitude, and advice to kids, is ‘if I can do it, so can you!’Hopefully they will be inspired by stories like mine, and so many others, and become more determined to better themselves.’

‘The challenge in Grenada is different to the one in this country because, back in this part of the Caribbean, there are no junior football leagues, no decent pitches and therefore little opportunity for kids to showcase the talents they have. If we can combine the two, and make a difference, then great.’

‘It is really humbling to go back to Grenada, see the joy on kids’ faces and know that you can make a difference, even if it is to just one youngster’s life. I feel really blessed every time we see such positive results.’

In May 2010, Jason Roberts was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire. The striker was honored for his services to sports in the UK and Grenada.

‘I am fortunate enough to be able to play in the Premier League and do a job that I love. I feel it is my responsibility to share my expertise and knowledge to those less fortunate and to try and create a positive outlook in their lives.’

‘Through the power of football, I believe we can reach children and young people and get them to believe in themselves and help them to become the people they know they can be.’

‘Seeing the smiles on their faces gives me as much please as scoring a goal in the Premier League. I have been bitten by the bug, and it’s something I intend to carry on doing long after I’ve finished playing.’

SOURCE: FIFPro (World Players’ Union) – the worldwide representative organisation for all professional football players.

No comments: