Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dancing On Ice saved my life



WOUNDED war hero Johnson Beharry said Dancing on Ice has put his life back on track – easing his flashbacks and even his pain.
The Victoria Cross winner, 31, added the concentration and physical fitness the show requires has had a stunning effect on his recovery.
He told TV Biz last night: "The competition has not only helped me physically but mentally as well.
"It has allowed me to re-programme my brain and has allowed me to get stronger, which is particularly helping with my spinal injuries.
"The pain will never go away, but the training has really helped strengthen my core muscles, which means my back pain has lessened."
Johnson suffered serious spinal and brain injuries when a rocket-propelled grenade smashed into his patrol in Iraq.
He said: "I have real problems with my legs, as the signal from my brain is not there, but I am getting muscle memory and they are remembering what to do more.
"I have more feeling in them now and I am hoping it will come back 100 per cent.
"Even when I am not in the competition any more, I will still go skating as it has helped me so much." He is even sleeping properly for the first time since the attacks because he is so exhausted from rehearsals.
For years his nights have been haunted by flashbacks to the ambush, which happened during night time in April 2004.
They often get worse in the run-up to the anniversary, but he said: "It is happening less as I am getting more sleep than normal because my body is so tired from all the training. Before the show I never used to sleep but I am getting a lot more now. I am hoping I will have less to deal with this year."
The Grenada-born soldier is desperately hoping he is not booted off the ITV1 series tomorrow night – despite being the bookmakers favourite to go.
His skating partner Jodeyne Higgins, 36, is also crossing her fingers, as she has seen first-hand how the programme has transformed him.
She said: "The overall experience has been life-changing for him. He has found something he loves to do in skating and he has said he will carry it on beyond the competition.
"It has helped him physically and mentally and he has got a lot stronger.
"He is 100 per cent different to when I first met him. He is more confident in himself and believes that life will be OK.
"I don't think his memories of what happened will ever go away but he is finding new ways to deal with things.
"He said he felt great after last Sunday as everything we had been working towards came together.
"For the first time he is completely comfortable with what he is doing out there."
Whatever happens in the show, Johnson hopes the friends he has made will help him in his next venture – setting up a foundation to help injured war veterans.
He said: "I also want to help homeless people.
"It would be nice to get people in the show involved in the future."
 SOURCE: The Sun

No comments: