Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I’ve got no regrets about my role in Capello’s downfall, says Reading striker Roberts


By Matt Barlow
The Mail Online

READING, UK - Jason Roberts insists he has no regrets about his role in Fabio Capello’s downfall and refuses to be silenced by hate-mail which followed.
Roberts proved the catalyst for Capello’s resignation with a tweet to say the England dressing room would be 'toxic' after John Terry’s court case was delayed until after Euro 2012.
His comments put pressure on the Football Association, who stripped Terry of the captaincy without Capello’s consent, promoting the manager to quit.
Roberts has always fought passionately remove racism from football and used his platform as a co-host of BBC 5Live’s 606 show on Saturday to criticise Luis Suarez for snubbing a handshake from Patrice Evra.
'I just say what I think and if it resonates with people then fine,' said the 34-year-old Reading striker. 'I think Twitter is a fantastic thing, to be able to speak directly to people and give your thoughts.
'I am big enough and bad enough to take whatever comes, the hate mail and the bad tweets that come that is all part of it, it just further makes me know that I am walking the right path the fact that I believe in what I say so it is not a problem for me.
'All it was, was me giving my thoughts. A lot of people have had their say. The fact that mine was quoted by so many people, I don’t know... I’m not sure how I feel about that.
'I didn’t realise the impact it would have. Where it has come to is a decision by the decision-makers but I think everybody is entitled to their opinion and it is great to be able to say what you believe.'

No comments: