Friday, February 11, 2011

Shalrie Joseph: I will be ready for the Gold Cup


In the second of an occasional series on CONCACAF players to watch for in the 2011 Gold Cup, Michael Lewis interviews one of the keys to Grenada’s chances this Summer – New England Revolution midfielder Shalrie Joseph.
By Michael Lewis – NEW YORK, NY (Feb 11, 2011) US Soccer Players --Coming off his most frustrating and disappointing season of his nine-year pro soccer career, New England Revolution midfielder Shalrie Joseph realizes his biological soccer clock is ticking, especially at the international level.
The perennial MLS Best XI selection and All-Star is 32-years-old, an age where many international players, particularly midfielders and forwards, see their careers winding down, if they haven't hung up their boots already.
Joseph, however, figures he has a few miles left in those lanky legs to help bring Grenada some CONCACAF glory. Conditioning was a reason why Joseph decided to not play for Grenada in the Digicel Caribbean Cup, where his team successfully qualified for the CONCACAF Gold Cup. 
"I plan to represent my country," Joseph said earlier this week. "I didn't play in the off-season. I was just resting up my body. I feel I'm in great shape even though it's two weeks into the pre-season. I've been working pretty hard in the off-season and getting my body right because I know it's going to be a long year. I look forward to it. I will be ready for the Gold Cup."
A decent showing in the continental tournament is "very important," for so many reasons, Joseph said. "We need to put my country on the map," he added. "If we can win it, if we have a good showing, it definitely would be huge for our country because our country definitely loves soccer. We've got kids who are looking forward to us playing. Representing my country is a dream of mine. Being out there, trying to win the Gold Cup is something that is something I would love to do."
Joseph said the team works hard, but that is not enough.
"Technically, we still lack a bit in what we need to do, get the ball on passes and move the ball well," he said. "Offensively, we're still struggling in that department. Hopefully, with my addition and a couple of guys from overseas who weren't there. We definitely can make a good show if we can get good players on the team."
Such as striker Jason Roberts, who plies his trade with Blackburn Rovers in the English Premier League, where he has scored three times in 12 appearances this season. Roberts has struck for 12 goals in 22 international matches. When the U.S. played Grenada during 2006 World Cup qualifying, Roberts was a handful and a half to handle. He is now 33, quite possibly a bit slower, but much more wiser and experienced.
"We need that big target fellow because he's such a workhorse," Joseph said. "He's been doing great. I've been following him and his team over there. If we can get him for a couple of games I think we can do something decent."
Anything would be an improvement over the Spice Boys' 2009 Gold Cup performance when they went three and out in the opening round, losing to the United States, Haiti, and Honduras. Joseph and Roberts did not play.
With the World Cup preliminary draw set for July 31st, CONCACAF qualifying for Brazil 2014 is a lot closer than you would think.
"This will be my last go-around qualifying for the World Cup," Joseph said. "We've been getting some tough draws like the US in the first round."
He was referring to the 2006 qualifying tournament. The United States overcame Grenada, but the Caribbean side certainly made the Americans sweat. The US won the first game of the total-goals series at home, 3-0, on two stoppage-time goals. The Americans managed to beat Grenada, 3-2, in a wild encounter in the Caribbean.
"Hopefully, we will get a lesser opponent so we can make a better showing," Joseph said.
Joseph made headlines he would like to forget last season when he was forced to take a leave of absence for almost a month due to MLS’ substance abuse and behavioral health program after he had a positive test for marijuana.
"Definitely I would like to keep it in my past," he said. "It was a frustrating period in my life where I made bad decisions. I didn't lean on my friends and family when I was down. I was going through a lot…. It was a weakness that I don't want to go through again."
For the first time in his Revs' career, New England did not make the playoffs.  It’s a situation unfamiliar to Joseph, who helped the team reach three consecutive MLS Cup finals and normally finished the season in contention for MLS Cup.
Joseph said it was "very difficult. I was frustrated to the point that it lent to some of my negativity. After being at the top for so many years…. We're struggling to get back there [it had to be] one of the most frustrating periods of my life."
With many of the old gang either traded, retired or gone overseas, Joseph finds himself as one of the old pros on the Revs. So, he will have to take on a greater leadership role.
"I welcome it as a great challenge for me to show what I am capable to bring to the team this year," he said. "When we're losing so many key guys every year, my best friends, my role as a leader has become more and more vocal. It comes with having the young kids listen to you, trying to get them in the right spot. Just being next to them when they need someone to talk to, having that voice. Since I've been in the league so long, I've been part of this organization so long, knowing the experience that I carry with me. I try to lend them a little bit of my knowledge."
Who knows? This could be Joseph's last year in MLS as his contract ends after this season. He said he still would like to play in Europe. MLS twice stopped him from joining Celtic, despite lucrative offers from the Scottish Premier League power.
"As long as I am playing soccer, it definitely will be on my radar," Joseph said. "It's a different time. It's a huge challenge for me. I still want to take it on. When my contract ends at the end of this year, you never know what's going to happen. But I definitely still have dreams of playing overseas. I'm not going to [give up] until I retire."
If Joseph has his way, it won't be for a while. He would like to play another five or six years at the club level. Joseph has seen the likes of AC Milan defenders Paolo Maldini (he retired at 40 in 2009) and Alessandro Nesta (he's still playing and turns 35 in March) remain quite effective late in their careers.
"It's all about taking care of their bodies at AC Milan," he said. "They've excellent facilities over there. For me, it's how I treat my body the last couple of years. Lucky for me it has been holding up pretty good. I've been fortunate not to have long-term injuries. I've been in great shape and I keep my body right, I think I'm ready to play another five or six years, as long as my body can hold out."
Michael Lewis, the editor of BigAppleSoccer.com, can be reached atSoccerWriter516@aol.com.
SOURCE: US SOCCER PLAYERS

No comments: