Thursday, May 19, 2011

Johnson: Kev was key to call-up


MAY 19, 2011 - Leon Johnson has revealed that team-mate Kevin Betsy had a major role to play in his call-up to the Grenada national squad for the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
The centre-back - who qualifies to play for the Caribbean island through his dad - explained to wwfc.com: "Kev knows the assistant manager and told him that I could play for Grenada. As soon as they knew I was eligible, they contacted me and I'm glad they did. 
"Plus, it turns out the manager, Mike Adams, used to come and watch Gillingham play when I was there. When he realised I could play, he said to me 'if I'd have known, you would have been called up years ago'. 
"They hadn't contacted me before Kev spoke to the assistant, so he's the one that got things going and it's snowballed from there."
The 30-year-old added: "It's an honour. To be called up for such a big competition is brilliant and I'm really looking forward to it. 
"I've never played in a competition format before so it's going to be quite exciting." 
'Johnno' will link up for a training camp before heading to Los Angeles for Grenada's opening Group B fixture against Jamaica on Monday 6th June.
The Spice Boyz then take on Honduras in Miami (10th June) and Guatemala in New York (13th June), with the top two teams from each of the three groups guaranteed a place in the quarter-finals.

He said: "Not everyone can say they've been called up for a big international tournament. It's a good achievement, but I haven't made my debut yet. 
"It's always nice to play in big games, I enjoy being involved in them and they bring out the best of me. 
"I was speaking to the manager (Mike Adams) the other day and he said there will be massive media coverage out there and every game will be televised. It's the equivalent of the European Championships. 
"It will be brilliant. I'm looking forward to testing myself on the world stage." 
SOURCE: Wycombe Wanderers FC

No comments: