Saturday, March 10, 2012

Kirani James beaten in World Indoor Champs

TigerDirect StoreFront
by Michael Bascombe
Reporting from Istanbul, Turkey

ISTANBUL, Turkey, March 10, 2012Kirani James suffered a major upset in the IAAF World Indoor Championships when he finished sixth and last position in the Men’s 400 metres in Istanbul on Saturday.
James could not meet the challenge of running from lane one as Costa Rican Nery Brenes won in a championship and world leading time of 45.11 seconds. It was James' first major defeat as he prepares for the London Olympic Games this summer. His time was 46.21 seconds.
Bahamians Demetrius Pinder and Chris Brown took silver and bronze in season best times of 45.34 and 45.90 seconds respectively. Tabarie Henry of the USVI was fourth and Pavel Maslak of the Czech Republic fifth.
Brenes said that this victory was special to him since he was never considered a favourite in this championship. In recent indoor races he was twice disqualified and fell in a meet in Birmingham this season.
“It was hard when I fell in Birmingham but it helped me because nobody was thinking of me in this championship,” he said. “But I ran against Kirani, the great favourite, and I knew he was on the inside.”
“I said if you want to be a champion, you have to run like a champion so I went out there and really run the first 200m,” the new indoor champion said.
Brown, the defending champion, said he was happy to be among the medal winners.
“I came in to defend my title, it didn’t happen but I ran a season’s best,” he said. “There were only three medals and I got one.”
James said that his spirits are still high and is not daunted by Saturday’s defeat.
He spoke to the IAAF’s Syerramia Willoughby in the Mixed Zone following the final.
SW: Kirani James, you were in Lane one which is almost an impossible task, but you still gave it your all?
KJ: Yes, it’s always, that’s the fun of track and field, to go out there and do your best.
SW: But obviously with World Indoors it’s all about qualifying. Do you think you will be coming out again to give it another go, in the World Indoors?
KJ: Yes, of course, why not? It’s fun. I always love running indoors – very tactical and strategic and I love it.
SW: And now, basically all roads lead to London, so what would you be doing between now and then?

components


3 comments:

Rawl La Crette said...

It's not a total lost. I'm not quite affirmative about this, but my opinion is that he MAY have made a tactical error. Indoor competition and outdoor competion are like "chalk and cheese." With a lane-one assignment, any athlete has to be aggressive, particular in the first half of the race. The nature of the indoor version of the event dictates that.

Nevertheless, Kirani left the arena with his head held high - yet with much humility. I entertain a tremendously high level of admiration for the sincerity in his comments during interviews. He has typically made no excuses for his defeat and admitted that the field of competitors was highly competitive. Congratulations to the medallists!!! I wish to commend Kirani on being among the finalists and to have him be made aware that this performance has in no way affected my support and admiration for him. Such experiences are a composite part of sport as they are of the greater game of life. There's no need to dwell on the defeat but move on. The London Olympic Games are in sight, and indisputably, this experience has alleviated some of the pressure from him - even though he is yet highly favoured to take gold.

Kirani, the Grenadian public still loves you, and undoubtedly, you have its continued support and best wishes. Keep up the great work! We're proud of you!

Pompy said...

I am now fully persuaded of the star is this brother. Humble even after a major lost. I would tell you, be not dismayed. It has happened just in time to let him know who are the real challengers. Kirani can and will be the champ the next time around. I believe that. Love you bro..

Pompy said...

He'll be back. Listen, this chap is tired. He will be back...humily even at your lowest is victory in itself, but he will be back..mark my words