Thursday, November 03, 2011

"Jericho" will be missed!

By Michael Bascombe
“Let’s prayer for the best but prepare for the worst”. That was the phrase I used in conversation with family and close friends for the past week as I monitored my colleague, friend, pal and what he termed the “tag team”, Anthony “Jericho” “The Duke” Greenidge.
Informing my colleagues and the general public of the passing of my “tag partner” was one of the most difficult assignments I have had to undertake in recent times. I knew the information will take some time to believe, and I wasn’t surprised when I received a call from a former classmate of Jericho questioning the authenticity of the alert. I understood his feelings but convinced him to the contrary.
On Thursday October 6, I spoke to Jericho from his home in New York and we discussed many things including plans to “link-up” that weekend. Like Jericho, I was excited to meet him to follow-up on some discussions we had about two months ago while in Grenada.
We shared sports information and traveled all over Grenada covering sports, especially basketball and track and field. We teamed up a few years ago to attend the Junior CARIFTA Games. And when I am not in Grenada he sends me photographs of various sporting events. His voice was familiar to the ears of spectators at the track and field stadium….”Results of event number….”
Jericho was like an extended arm of the Diaspora Information Network and among many things he will be greatly missed.
The tributes continue to come in from many of his colleagues and listeners. The Management & Staff of WEE FM Radio have also issued a statement expressing sadness on his passing.
Bro, I will miss you!
“Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow”
“What moves through us is a silence, a quiet sadness, a longing for one more day, one more word, one more touch, we may not understand why you left this earth so soon, or why you left before we were ready to say good-bye, but little by little, we begin to remember not just that you died, but that you lived. And that your life gave us memories too beautiful to forget.”
“God Be With You Till We Meet Again”

Special Prime Time Edition on WEE FM Radio on Thursday November 3, 2011
http://www.weefmgrenada.com/audio/PRIME-TIME-JERICHO-PASSING-NOVEMBER-3RD-2011.mp3

4 comments:

ALMA D. said...

HE WILL REALLY BE MISSED BY THE GRENADIAN PUBLIC...

WE LOOKED FORWARD WITH ANTICIPATION FOR HIS RETURN...GONE TOO SOON..GOD IS GOOD HE KNOWS WHY!
IN ALL OF THIS LETS GIVE GOD THANKS!

Lil Grenada with a giant scenery said...

I knew tony for more than thirty years, we we to the same school, were both in Mc Guire and on the school's football and track team. Additionally Tony was always available to lend a hand. I recall two greater moments of his love for service. The organising of the GBSS Old Boys inagural fete in Grenada in 2010 and a request for him to use his program to promote the sport of football. He willingly agreed and by his very nature, he was a Grenadian sporting and radio icon not waiting on personal praises.
TONY, I miss you, gone but not forgotten, I am sure there will be a place in the hearts and minds of all for years to come. You were a true patriotic soldier, called to another duty.

Maurice "Bull" Williams said...

My brother,my friend,my team mate and my co worker,may God open the doors of heaven very wide for you and I pray that he watch over your family here on earth.
GONE IN BODY BUT WILL ALWAYS BE IN OUR HEARTS!!!

Elizabeth Forsyth said...

it won't be easy for us to send him home on Monday in Greenz. I guess it is just something we have to do. It's a hard pill to swallow. But God gives and takes away, blessed be his name.