Monday, August 03, 2026

Walters faces surgery but remains upbeat after Glasgow crash


by Michael Bascombe

LONDON, UK, August 3, 2026 – UK-based Grenadian cyclist Red Walters will undergo surgery on the broken collarbone he sustained during the men’s 10km scratch race final at the Glasgow 2026 Commonwealth Games.

Walters was involved in a major crash at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome on Saturday and later underwent X-rays, which confirmed the break.

He initially believed that surgery might not be necessary because the fracture was not displaced. However, after returning home and undergoing a further assessment, Walters confirmed on Monday that he would require an operation.

“Just an update, I can confirm I will need surgery,” he told GrenadaSports.

Walters said his father flew to Glasgow on Sunday morning before they travelled home together later that day. He went to the hospital today for further X-rays and diagnosis.

Despite the setback, Walters does not believe he will necessarily be out of competition for an extended period.

“Not necessarily,” he said when asked if he expected to be sidelined for some time. “Normally, the recovery time is quite quick once it is plated. If anything, it is quicker to have the surgery than if I let it heal naturally.”

Walters said he knows other cyclists who returned to training soon after undergoing similar procedures.

“I’ve had friends who were back to training indoors after one week, and racing not that much longer after that,” he said.

Although he must now undergo surgery and begin his recovery, Walters remains optimistic about returning to the bike.

No comments: