Saturday, July 25, 2026

Whittaker calls for a regional training programme for sports journalists

by Michael Bascombe

KINGSTON, Jamaica, July 25, 2026 – Veteran Caribbean sports broadcaster Lance Whittaker has called for the establishment of a regional training programme to develop young and aspiring sports journalists throughout the Caribbean.

Whittaker, who appeared on the TalkSports programme on Saturday, said such an initiative could draw on the knowledge and experience of established journalists and broadcasters while providing participants with clear professional standards.

“Yes, I think it would help because there are a lot of people who have a lot to contribute to something like that,” Whittaker said.

The Jamaican broadcaster has spent 42 years in the profession and believes his experience could be useful in helping to prepare the next generation of Caribbean sports journalists.

“As I said, I’ve been in it for 42 years now. I’m semi-retired at the moment, if you want to call it that, and I think I can offer a lot if I were to be a part of a programme training young or budding sports journalists throughout the region,” he said.

Whittaker suggested that the programme should have an established structure, with guidelines and standards covering the various areas of sports broadcasting and journalism.

He said that while there is considerable talent across the region, many young journalists need proper guidance and opportunities to develop their abilities.

“Being guided by a fixed programme that sets the guidelines and the standards by which sports broadcasting should be followed, I think it’s necessary, and I think it would be beneficial,” Whittaker said.

“I don’t think anyone could argue that having something like that throughout the region would not help significantly because there are a lot of talented people who just need to be nurtured and guided in the right direction.”

Whittaker said a coordinated regional approach could help improve the overall standard of sports coverage and ensure that developing journalists are better prepared for the demands of the profession.

“I would suggest that would be a good plan,” he said.

Watch the entire programme 

No comments: