Friday, June 10, 2011

Injury sidelines Rocastle from Grenada's Gold Cup team


By Michael Bascombe
MIAMI, Florida, June 10, 2011 - The national football team suffered another setback in the CONCACAF Gold Cup with the loss of central midfielder Craig Rocastle. Rocastle, who suffered a first half injury in his team's 4-0 loss to Jamaica on Monday, has been flown back to his MLS base in Kansas to seek medical attention.
An initial prognosis reveals that the player suffered some form of ligament damage in his right knee.
"The team physio assessed it here but unfortunately I have to return to my club (Kansas City Sporting) and get it scan and see what the actual damage is and get it treated," he said.
Rocastle expressed disappointment in having to leave the team after only one game. "I am very disappointed. I have been waiting for this tournament ever since we qualified and I wanted to do well for the team and the boys were looking forward for me coming here, and it's a very sad moment for me."
His return to competitive football depends on the result of the scan which will determine the extent of his injury.
"Hopefully, I've not torn it which means it could just be rehab but if it's torn then I'll have to do surgery," he said.

No comments: