Monday, August 24, 2009

Shalrie Joseph now holds US Citizenship

Shalrie Joseph on Sunday played his first game in Major League Soccer as an American citizen.

Joseph, who last week took the oath of allegiance, now has dual citizenship in Grenada and the US, where he moved when he was nine.

"I've spent a lot of years waiting and waiting, so it definitely feels good now," said Joseph.

"It makes it easier traveling and everything else, it's a great thing to be able to say you're a US citizen, not everyone gets that privilege. I did a lot of studying, the one thing I didn't want to do was fail the citizenship test. A lot of the guys helped me when we were on the road trips, even Jay and Jeff were doing question and answers. I learned a lot about US history and it definitely helped me with my knowledge." Joseph said he has recovered from the knee injury that hampered him through the summer.

"It’s back to 100 percent," said Joseph. "so now I’m just focused on getting back to the sharpness I had in the beginning of the season.”

Joseph had one assist in New England Revolution's 3-1 win over Real Salt Lake.

No comments: