Tuesday, November 21, 2006

PM Mitchell says he is not ready to quit!

by Michael Bascombe
NEW YORK, USA, Nov 20 - Grenada's Prime Minister Dr Keith Mitchell said he is not ready to quit active politics but will plan his departure. Dr Mitchell, who is into his third consecutive term as Prime Minister, said that he wants to ensure that he leaves Grenada in ‘safe hands’ when he decides to exit the political arena. Speaking during a ceremony in New York on Sunday to honour his 60th birthday, Dr Mitchell said he had wished for one birthday give which is the continued peace and stability of the island. In recounting his political life Dr Mitchell said that he plans his exit well, noting that he has never been forced out during the 36 years he has been involved in politics. He says that too often Grenadians forget their history, saying he is worried about the peace and stability of Grenada, making reference to the periods of instability especially in the 1970s and 80s. “I wished for one birthday gift, and that gift is the continued peace and stability of Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique,” he said. “Everything I have done in my life I have never been pushed out. In other words I leave in my time, Dr Mitchell added. “I plan my exit well and I like to plan it when I am on top. In other words, there can be a lot a lot of years left in this exercise”. “I worried a little bit about my country because sometimes I believe we forget too easily”. Dr Mitchell warns about returning to that dark period of Grenada’s history. “We have seen the period of instability this country has gone through over the years, my friend we ought not to back down that road again. And therefore, the birthday gift that I would want to have is to know that at the end of my period of service the leadership that comes forward will continue with the stability and good order of Grenada,” he said. At a special ceremony held in his honour, a youth centre to assist in the recreational and educational development of young people in Grenada was initiated in his honour. A New York College also announced the awarding of two scholarships in his name, as a gift to the Prime Minister. But despite the absence of Prime Minister Patrick Manning of Trinidad and Tobago, Senator Hillary Clinton, New York’s Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Harry Belafonte, among the high-profiled guests who were listed to attend, the Prime Minister and his special guest, his mother, were treated to tributes in words and songs.An array of artistes led by Grenadian-born Dr Slinger Francisco, the Mighty Sparrow, performed at the event.

No comments: