Saturday, October 10, 2026

John says historic Masters gold capped ‘long journey’

by Michael Bascombe

NEW YORK, Oct. 10, 2026 - Nigel “Bunto” John has described Grenada’s first World Masters Athletics Championships gold medal as the emotional reward for years of work, dedication, and resilience.

John won the men’s M50 long jump in Daegu, South Korea, on August 25 with 6.64 metres, breaking the previous championship record of 6.59m.

“I kind of get emotional about that because it’s been a long journey,” John said on Saturday’s TalkSports programme.

“I put in a lot of work, dedication, and resilience into whatever I was doing to reach that point. It was surreal, and I was thinking not only about myself but about Grenada as a whole.”

John edged France’s Bakri Daroueche, who took silver with 6.63m. Former Jamaican Olympian James Beckford secured bronze with 6.33m.

John said he entered the competition believing a record was possible, although the long jump has been secondary to his preferred event, the 400 metres.

“I’m predominantly a 400 runner,” he said. “I eat, sleep, and wake up every morning thinking about the 400. Since I was small, the 400 was my thing.”

He said he added the long jump to his programme to contest a field event in club competitions, choosing it ahead of the high jump while maintaining his focus on running.

John and Curtis Brereton represented Grenada at the championships, which were held from August 22 to September 3.

John also acknowledged the Government of Grenada for helping the two athletes attend the championships.

“I was able to write letters and get some assistance from the Grenadian government,” he said. “They have been wonderful in assisting me in attending those championships.”

John specifically thanked Permanent Secretary Kim Frederick and the Ministry of Youth and Sport for their support.

No comments: